24 July 2007

Disarming Passion Underneath the Subtle Sweetness


My mother calls it the "Summer Passion". Bashful and Coy.

What would you do for someone you love?
Would you lie, cheat, steal?
Break the law and call it justice?
Would you say yes? Scream no?
Would you kill? Would you give up your own life?
Would you move mountains,
Swallow fire, keep a promise?
Would you change the world?
Would you change yourself?
What would you do for someone you love?
-- Jodi Picoult

Thought provoking no? Well, it got me for a while. Despite all the humdrum that slowly drizzles our lives, we must also learn the goodness of affections and memories from our loved ones. To be frank, I am immersed in my daily routine so much that I would be oblivious of how much people do care about me. From parents, relatives, siblings, friends, and to even that special someone will fall under that category of what would one sacrifice with utter self-abnegation for the sake of others.

After copying this poem from my mother's vente Starbucks cup, I've kept the paper written with beautiful words in my bag for months now as a precedent of demonstrating altruism and generosity for others.

Enough of that, now to explain that lovely drink posted in today's entry. My mother, brother, and I decided to make some lemonade using the strawberry lemonade powder drink that we bought in the grocery store. Because the powder is mostly composed of sugar and other artificial flavors, we decided to use some lemons to strengthen the flavor a bit. Little did we know that we got a bit carried away. With some ice, a blender, and a tad bit of vodka, we made a nice little summery drink that was perfect for the sweltering heat a few weeks ago. Don't be hyperventilating now, we didn't get drunk at all. There was probably 6 parts lemonade and less than 1 part vodka. But after an hour or so of experimenting and having fun, my family and I discovered a nice sweet drink that is easy to make.

After weeks of doubt and stress, I think I realized how powerful praying and having incessant faith is.

5 comments:

levey said...

wow... the poem... its beautiful. i guess because it reminds me to truely love those i love. and to appreciate that i am loved by others. thank you for sharing, the poem steph. i never thought something so deep could come from a starbucks

your drink looks good. it reminds me of the strawberry daquiris i made as a kid.

Jono said...

Well, first of all, that looks like the perfect name for the drink, I don't think I would be able to come up with a better one myself xD

I really like the poem ^_^ it's well written and it reminds me of some of the things I did someone I really care about and still do *blink* (I think she knows who she is ><)

lol...yay for vodka!? xD I want to try some next time >< it's so cool how you experiment with food, I should really try that sometimes myself...

<3 Jono
P.S. The drink is making me thirsty *drools*

YY said...

Okay you should see my face when i heard you guys used vodak. I was like :O DONT GET DRUNK. Hahah you guys are cute. That drink looks good. I love puttng lemon to spice up my drinks! (:

That a really thought provoking poem. If I wasnt so sleeply I would think about it. So I'll come visit your blog tomorrow to look at it again. But it was on a coffee cup!?

Pray. It's beautiful.

YY said...

You inspire me to finally update my food blog. I have too many photos! D:

clarice said...

The drink looks really pretty. Especially that shade of pink with the lemon yellow to touch it off :D

The poetry is something for you think, I agree!